Thursday, January 3, 2013

SADNESS

 Winter Break is over and my kids went back to school this morning. The triplets were so excited to see their friends, I only got one of them in the picture, barely! And now I sit in a quiet house with nothing but housework (yuck!) to keep me occupied. Gone are the days of cuddling on the couch, watching tv or reading books. No more playing in the backyard, on the swings or in the sandbox or chalk on the sidewalk. Or going to the library for Story Time, then McDonald's for a Happy Meal. Where did the time go? Some days, I so miss those days!



On the other hand, here is my oldest who didn't want to go to school today and was just sobbing in the car. This year has been a tough one for her as she hasn't clicked with the teacher for the first time in her school career.  This teacher has set the bar pretty high and for the first time, Eva's not making it. For the first time, Eva has to learn how to be an advocate for herself and not wait for Mom to step in.  That if she doesn't understand something, to ask for it to be re-explained. To ask questions, like "How would you like this?" "What do I need?" "When do I do this?" It's so much harder for her, since she has Asperger's and ADD, so while other kids will see and interpret what needs to be done, Eva has to be told, step by step, what needs to be done/what the expectation is. And she's had that in other teachers, but not this year. So I told Eva that instead of crying, she needs to step up and assert herself.  To believe that she is smart enough, capable enough, to get the job done. She just needs a few more directions to get there. And that's ok, there is nothing wrong with that.  But it still breaks my heart to see her not like school this year. Everybody said 4th grade was tough and they weren't kidding! I just wish I could wrap my arms around her and make it all go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment