Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Intolerance

     My heart is heavy right now. Just got off the phone with the school's principal. Seems Eva got into it with another student and Eva was hysterical and sobbing. I told Eva she still had to go to Daisy Scouts and we'd talk about it when she got home.
     I did not want this for my daughter!! I grew up with no friends, endured the taunts from classmates, felt the lonliness when I heared about some birthday party everybody (but me) had attended. I was new to the school in 1st grade, but everybody already had their friends and there was no room for me. There's a whole lot behind this story that I don't really want to go over again. 
     Anyway,  when I found out I was pregnant, my secret wish was that she would have friends. That she would know the joy of having a best friend, the joy of having friends to do things with, share things with. But alas, she has been cursed as well. I don't care if her inability to connect socially is due to her having Aspergers. I believe it's more of others being intolerant. I hate that in order to be accepted, you have to dress a certain way, or have certain things, or do certain things, etc. All those nuances are hard to navigate anyway, but damn near impossible when you have Aspergers. 
     So I baked some chocolate chip cookies and I'll pop some popcorn and put on her favorite movie. We'll sit on the couch and I'll hold her and listen to her and curse all those who were so intolerant as to do this to my baby.

2 comments:

  1. Victoria Cummings Froh
    Aaawww, June don't worry. It will be okay. Kids are cruel sometimes. Elaina gets told by some of the neighbor kids she can't play with them. This issue was really bad last summer and then I stepped in and told her she couldn't play with anyone. I just hope Elaina remembers what it is like to be left out and she doesn't do the same thing to someone else. Compassion is a hard thing to come by these days. Elaina is still her friend. (from Facebook)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww :( I'm sad.
    You know what June, you are not alone. Every parent wants their child to fit in and have friends and then it doesn't always happen. That's what a hate about kids. How mean they can be. Their disregard for other kids' feelings. But not all kids are like that and the day will come when Eva will meet a sweet soul who she will be friends with forever. And she will be worth having. Those other kids, the gross ones, screw them. They don't deserve Eva.

    ReplyDelete